Best chokes for Hevi waterfowlloads???

General Waterfowl Discussion

Re: Best chokes for Hevi waterfowlloads???

Postby hsreloader1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:01 am

I don't think it matters which choke manufacturer you use as long as you are pleased with the pattern. I shoot an Xtrema 2 with factory choke tubes. I reload my own HS (12g/cc) loads with 1 3/8 oz of hevi shot, muzzle velocity of about 1400 ps in a 3 inch casing. There are about 316 pellets of #6 shot in my load. When I tested at 40 yards, 30 inch circle and a modified choke I put 242 pellets in the circle. I tried with improved cylinder and placed 218 pellets in the circle. I have been using the IC since for hunting and have been amazed at the results.

Whatever tube or shot size you use you should pattern your gun, it can be a real eye opener.
hsreloader1

Postby pete.daugherty » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:42 am

Patternmaster or Kicks both are excellant chokes for waterfowl
pete.daugherty

Postby leslil223 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:24 pm

Pure Gold IC, Browning Maxus 3 1/2" 28" barrel, 30 in. circle
Hevi-Metal #2 30 yards 84%
Rem Wingmaster HD #2 30 yards 95% 40 yards 84%
Rem. Wingmaster HD #4 30 yards 98% 40 yards 93%
Win Xtended Range HD #2 30 yards95% 40 yards 93%
I just ordered a Pure Gold Mod. hoping too get 85% @ 60 yards with plenty of practice on high/ fast clays out of the tower it should be deadly on high flying spring snows. I'll post more test when the wife lets me buy the 6 boxes of Hevi-Shot duck and goose that I need.
leslil223

Postby dsapp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 am

I use the factory IC tube in my SX3 for most situations... but if they are flying high like during the Snow Goose Conservation Order, I use the Carlson's extended Dead Coyote choke tube and Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T-shot :ugeek:
dsapp
Pro Boarder

Postby Bama » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 pm

I use a Briley SK ext choke most of the time. I have crushed Canada geese at 40 using a 3 1/2 #2s.

I think most people over choke Hevi- and steel. IC is all you need.
Bama
Fresh Boader

Postby dsapp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:16 am

I agree... when I patterned Hevi-Shot vs steel, the Hevi-Shot was definately tighter than the steel... and if steel is tighter than lead, then you can imagine how it works
dsapp
Pro Boarder

Postby DDragon47 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:23 pm

My Benelli Vinci the ic choke it came with gives me a nice pattern.
Hevi-Shot Pro Staff
DDragon47
Extreme Boarder

Postby beauso79 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Which constriction Patternmaster are you guys using over decoys?? Long, Mid, Short??

In Patternmaster, the Mid and Short aren't ported whereas the long is. Which Patternmaster would the Mid/Med range Hevi-Shot choke tube be equivalent to, the Mid or Long version?? Doesn't the Porting matter less with choke tubes of reduced constriction or does porting make a difference in chokes that are more open as well??
beauso79

Postby ScoperB » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:22 pm

I shoot a Trulock PH12710 for waterfowl using 3.5'' Heavy-Metal BB 1.5 oz shot & a Trulock PH12690 thru a 870 Express Super magnum. With the .710 modified choke I get an 80% pattern with the Heavy Metal at 60 yards. Using the EX-Full choke (lead only choke) with Remington 3.5'' 00 Buckshot I get a 100% pattern at 80 yards. In my opinion if you want the best customer service from a choke tube manufacturer go with Trulock chokes. If you call them you talk directly to the owner of the company. Mr. George Trulock himself. Name another choke tube manufacturer where this regularly happends ...

Just my opinion. I am not endorsed by Trulock chokes.
ScoperB
Pro Boarder

Postby tim.peterson » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:20 pm

scoper,

Actually this type of customer service happens with most of the best aftermarket choke companies we have today,carlson and briley are exceptional in both service and quality~nuff said~

BTW~We at hevishot inc do endorse our own choke tubes for our product,check our product line and see for yourself.
tim.peterson
HEVI-Shot® Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl